The fruit pictured is waxy and beautifully colored, like a candle, but entirely edible. It tastes like a jujube (which tastes like a not-so-sweet apple). Not too appetizing of a description, but accurate.
I tried and tried not to think of fragrant candles when I was biting into it. Amazing that things that look inedible can actually be edible. Does the inedible appearance influence my judgment of its taste, making it less delicious than it would have been in a blind taste test? If candles didn't exist, would I have thought it was inedible?